Chilli Citrus Stir Fry with Rice
Ingredients- 2-3 Chicken Breasts
1 pack of Mangetout
1 pack of beansprouts
1 Yellow pepper
1 small-medium red onion
2 large carrots
2 chillies (1 red, 1 green for colour variation)
Black Pepper (Seasoning)
500g long grain rice
1. Veg prep- Remove the stalk and middle from the pepper and cut the rest into even strips
Slice the carrot into even strips again (thinner pieces will cook faster)
Remove first few layers of onion and then chop the rest into small pieces
Remove the stalk and middle from the chillis and cut into tiny pieces
Roll the lemon and lime in the palm of your hands to release the juices, and then cut into halfs
2. Pour rice into a sieve and rinse with cold water, then leave to stand
Fill a large suacepan with cold water and add pinch or two of salt
Add the rice to this and leave to come to the boil
3. Rinse a wok/ large frying pan with cold water, then put on heat.
Add cooking oil after a minute or two
4. Remove any fat and nasties from the chicken and cut into cubes or strips
5. Put the chicken into the wok and keep moving it around the pan so that it cooks evenly
6. After a few minutes add the onion, chilli, ginger powder, black pepper and squeeze the juice of one half of the lemon and lime over the chicken. Continue to stir fry.
7. If the rice is now boiling, bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 10-12 minutes (may be longer depending on the rice you use, check packet instructions)
8. Once the chicken and onion is starting to turn golden brownish (cut the largest piece in half and check that it is white coloured inside), add the yellow pepper, carrots and mangetout
Add a drizzle more oil and half a cup of water, plus slightly more seasoning (ginger and black pepper)
Stir fry for a few minutes, continuously moving the ingredients around.
9. Once the vegetables are cooked (they should be hot but firmish) and the chicken looks golden brown, add the beansprouts and thouroughly mix the ingredients round for another few minutes.
10. Turn off the heat for the stir fry but leave it where it is.
Take the rice off the heat and drain it. Leave to stand for a couple of minutes.
Add the remaining juice from the lemon and lime (if there is any left over drizzle it over the stir fry)
Carefully stir in the juice and then fluff up the rice with a fork.
11. Serve up the rice first and then top with stir fry