…That’s why it’s full of mess and gadgets!
So says an article in today’s ‘Lifestyle’ supplement in the Yorkshire Post – we thought we HAD to blog about this!
‘According to a new survey, 1 in 10 men believe their place is in the kitchen, as they increasingly take charge of the cooking – and the dinner parties.’
New lifestyle app Great British Chefs (check it out – it’s AWESOME!) conducted the research and found:
• 70% of men AND women said they enjoy cooking (equal)
• 1/3 men admit to kicking their partner out the kitchen when cooking a meal (probably they don’t want them to see their mess?)
• 1 in 10 men state that the kitchen is now the room they spend the most of their spare time in (because that’s where all the food is?)
• 50% of men admitted that they offer to host dinner parties and gatherings because it gives them a chance to use their fancy kitchen gadgets (showing off)
• 1 in 10 men spend over £500 a year on cooking gadgets (Londoners are likely to splash the most cash on their kitchens – 18% spend up to £1,000 a year – ouch!)
• 74% of men own a hand-blender or milk frother (but do they actually USE them?)
So, as a male or female, what are your thoughts? Here in the studentcooking.tv office we sort of agree this is becoming the case: the lads are (mostly!) keen cooks, fancying themselves as Jamie Olivers, and think they can cook a better meal than their girlfriends…
…While the girls, as much as they enjoy cooking, feel their other halves sometimes dominate the kitchen and get all bossy – not that we complain though! As long as they do the washing up afterwards ;)