This year, as always, the standard was very high – but the dish that wowed the judges the most was Japan’s – with a medley of 3 Japanese classics it wasn’t a surprise they did so well!
If you want to try Chicken Katsu we’ve already got a handy video with Rob and Sadie which you can watch here!
Another Japanese favourite is Teriyaki Chicken – very simple and very tasty, try it for yourself!
• 3/4 lb chicken breasts or thighs
• 2 tbsp sake
• 4 tbsp soy sauce
• 4 tbsp mirin
• 2 tbsp sugar
• Grated ginger
1. Mix ingredients in a bowl – marinate the chicken in the mixture for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
2. Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan. First, fry the skin side of the chicken on medium heat until the skin is browned. Turn the chicken over to fry the other side on low heat.
3. Pour the sauce used to marinate chicken in the pan. Cover the pan and steam cook the chicken on low heat until done (about 20 mins).
4. Remove the lid and simmer until the sauce becomes thick. Turn off the heat. Slice the chicken and serve on a plate.
5. Pour thickened sauce over the teriyaki chicken. Garnish with grated ginger if you like!