Another British Classic – Toad In The Hole!
4 Pork Sausages
110g (4oz) Plain White Flour
300ml (½ pint) Milk
2 Small Eggs
½ tsp Salt
- Place the flour in a bowl, then make a well in the centre and break in the egg.
- Mix in half the milk using a wooden spoon, work the mixture until smooth then add the remaining milk.
- Beat or whisk until fully combined and the surface is covered with tiny bubbles.
- Allow to rest for 15 to 30 minutes, whisk again before use.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C; 450°F: Gas 8
- Fry the sausages in a pan to lightly colour and remove excess fat, reserve the fat.
- Place the fat in a small roasting tin adding a little oil, if needed, to bring the amount of fat up to about 4 tbsp.
- Heat the fat until smoking hot then pour in the batter.
- Add the sausage chunks and place into the hot oven.
- Bake for about 5-10 minutes at 230°C; 450°F: Gas 8, then reduce to 200°C; 400°F: Gas 6 and bake 20 to 30 – - – minutes or until the batter around the sausages has risen and is a deep golden brown.
- Serve immediately or the pudding will deflate.